The epic fail of Second Life's (tm) Teen Grid MigrationPosted on Saturday, 20th of November 2010 9:48:03 AM by Max Bainrot. Permalink
As many of my friends are aware, I am a Second Life(tm) resident.
Recently I read a blog post which is a reminder about the merger of the teen grid with the main grid.
Like many residents I have my concerns with regards to how the teenagers (16-17 yr olds) will be protected in the cyber jungle called the grid.
It is commendable that the Lindens are trying to grow their business by expanding their customer base but the problem is, they haven't covered their bases. And if they have, they haven't made it clear to their concerned residents.
Teenagers aged 13-15 years of age will be restricted to their sponsoring organisations private estate, won't be able to actually venture on to the real grid. They also apparently won't be able to use inworld search, etc
Teenagers aged 16-17 years of age will be restricted to G and PG rated regions, but can freely converse with adults, can tp to any region that has the G or PG rating.
Current policy as it stands (this is an interpretation of what I have read of the comments on the blogs and the jIRA issues)
G and PG parcels should contain basically what you would feel comfortable your grandmother seeing or the Queen of england
Mature parcels allow for sexual acts on the provision they are out of the public eye and are not advertised, High impact violence, bdsm, public sexual activities of any sort are not permitted
Adult parcels (in Zindra) is basically anything that the LL policy allows, kinda like a no post bars world.
Main issues with the merger are:
- There is currently no way of identifying a teen from an adult, therefor it is difficult to determine whether one is having a conversation with another adult or with a teenager.
- Given the influx of young people, there is more than likely going to be a exponential increase in griefing (for people who play Garry's Mod think minges). The only plus side is that most of it will only be skiddy (script kiddy) style griefing not organised and high tech attacks like those done by professional/experienced hackers.
- As mentioned by many other residents, with the current policy whats to stop a teen from camming (Moving their camera into an area they physically can't reach) into a mature area from a PG zone. The entire grid is a checkerboard of PG and Mature parcels, with the exception of Zindra which is all Adult parcels.
- What do we do if a teen starts harassing us as an adult? do we just AR them and let it be? Can LL cope with the influx of increased ARs? (For the muggles out there, AR = Abuse Report, its kinda like the report button on many forums and on facebook)
- My big concern is what about the sand boxes, are there going to be Linden staff on patrol at this locations to insure no one spawns inappropriate material in a G/PG rated sandbox?
- Are the LL policies strong enough to protect themselves in the event a teen gets exposed to adult material and their parents seek legal council (which they have every right to!).
- What is protecting the 16-17 year olds from pedophiles? Of course there is the AR system, but what if it isn't reported?
In the end the writing was on the wall, teen grid was going to be merged with the main grid as the teens weren't spending enough money due to lack of content. Let's just hope that this doesn't result in a legal shit storm and LL goes bust because it would really suck for the world that many have invested thousands of dolars of REAL money into, to go poof because LL dropped the ball.
Hopefully in the coming office hours, these issues are addressed as it would suck to see the end to the world that we residents love.
I admit I look forward to more people being online in Second Life, I really do. It gets quite lonely being an Aussie in an American world.
In that, this is my first post being that of a rant.
Disclaimer: SL, Second Life are trademarks of Linden Lab Research.
facebook is a trademark of... you guessed it, facebook.